Using Spectroscopy to Uncover Food Fraud
Spices such as turmeric, saffron, paprika and ginger are easily adulterated by unscrupulous merchants and resellers, undermining brand integrity, duping regulators and potentially exposing consumers to harmful contaminants.
Convenient, accessible and simple to use screening methods utilizing spectroscopy can help take a bite out of food fraud. Ocean Optics offers a full menu of spectroscopy and imaging solutions for food authentication, content analysis and contaminant detection. Our systems are compact, portable and easily integrated into setups for rapid screening, testing and R&D.
Here are some helpful resources to consider when measuring spices:
- Adulteration of Spices (ginger, allspice and turmeric)
- Absorbance of Spice Extracts
- Measuring Curcumin Concentration using Absorbance Spectroscopy
Sample Technical Citations
- Ingars Reinholds, Vadims Bartkevics, Isabelle C.J. Silvis, Saskia M. van Ruth and Susanne Esslinger. Analytical techniques combined with chemometrics for authentication and determination of contaminants in condiments: A review (abstract only). Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, Volume 44, December 2015, Pages 56-72
- David I. Ellis, Howbeer Muhamadali, Simon A. Haughey, Christopher T. Elliott and Royston Goodacre. Point-and-shoot: rapid quantitative detection methods for on-site food fraud analysis – moving out of the laboratory and into the food supply chain. Analytical Methods, Issue 22, 2015.
- Yiming Ou, Lu Pei, Keqiang Lai, Yiqun Huang, Barbara A. Rasco, Xiaohui Wang and Yuxia Fan. Rapid Analysis of Multiple Sudan Dyes in Chili Flakes Using Surface-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy Coupled Au-Ag Core-Shell Nanospheres (abstract only). Food Analytical Methods, March 2017, Volume 10, Issue 3, pp. 565-574.
- Ensuring Food Safety using SERS
- Farm to Table Technologies
- Food Applications and Techniques posters – ideal for your lab or workspace
- Food Integrity brochure
- Measurement Techniques -- absorbance, color, reflection, Raman, NIR
- Near-Infrared Spectroscopy Analysis of Powders and Grains
- VIDEO – Tools for Determining Food Integrity